Wednesday 31 October 2012

WiP Wednesday – the quilting begins

I’m not very good at the actual quilting part of making a quilt. I tend to go with straight lines because I worry that my wonky quilting will detract from the pretty (and we know I’m all about the pretty in my quilts!).

But I’ve decided to be brave, bold and quilty with my Spanish Tiles quilt! It deserves more than straight lines I think!

So we have this:
Quilting Spanish Tiles

It’s a swirly sort-of-feather thing in the centre of my panel. I totally cheated. It is not free handed. I found this fabulous resource for free quilting stencils (Patsy Thompson designs) and couldn’t go past this swirly thingamajig. So I printed it out, then traced over it onto a bunch of tracing paper with my sewing machine needle (no thread) to give me an outline to trace-quilt. I think that whole sentence sounds more complicated than the process.

P1000551 (640x480)
Actually doing the tracing part helped me get the idea of how the design went so it was good practice before I put thread to fabric!
Okay so my lines are a bit wonky, the stitches aren’t all even. But that’s okay. I’m happy with it though I am wondering if I need to fill the space in a bit more?

A little backtracking – I made the backing for the quilt yesterday. It didn’t turn out quite as I had planned. I am really bad at quilty maths. Maybe that’s why I like paper piecing so much, I don’t have to do maths stuff! But! I made it work with the fabric I had.
Smile
Spanish Tiles Pieced BackTop and back

I used 2 yards of Vintage Modern Red Swirl, and some scraps of the Seaside Cottage prints from the quilt top as a border with a bit of grey to finish it off. Like I said, not how I planned but I quite like it.
So that’s where I’m at! Being brave, getting my FMQ on, and hoping to goodness I don’t stuff it up!

Linking up with WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

wipwednesdaybutton

Oh and make sure you pop back here tomorrow! It’s the big kick off for the Sew Seasonal Blog Hop! Free patterns, giveaways, fun projects – you really don’t want to miss all that, now do you?!

Sew Seasonal

16 comments:

  1. Oh the tracing idea is very clever! Great job. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! Go you for getting your brave on! The quilting looks great so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for getting out of your comfort zone! It'll turn out great, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks pretty cool. The tracing is definitely a good idea. I think someone told me once if you go fast swirls are easier? So are you going swirly over the whole quilt? Just checked out the stencil link, she has some fabulous designs. Thanks for th info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! And tracing is totally fine in FMQ (so says Angela Walters herself) - I think the free motion actually refers to not having any feed dogs active, not that you have to make up the whole design as you go along.
    I can't wait to see this pretty in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're having a crack at some free motion. The more you do the better you get at it. I have found if I practice drawing a new pattern on paper first it gets my brain into thinking how I find my way into and out of a design. If it were me I probably would do a little more quilting to fill the box as where you don't quilt will puff up when you wash it and stand out more but you might like that effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a wimpy quilter too especially on bigger quilts. I think it looks great. I'd probably recommend doing some more in the tiles too now that you have the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you chose to quilt this! The swirly pattern brings the fabric design to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just recently finished my first all over FMQ. There is nothing perfect about mine. But it is perfect to me! And once you wash it and that wonderful quilt crinkles up it is amazing how wobbly lines no longer look as wobbly! I think it looks great! Keep working! And I LOVE the quiltx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, LOVING the back! Nice work! Can't wait to see this finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will never become good at something if you don't go out of your comfort zone once in awhile. I think it looks fantastic and I love the back, too! I will definitely be back tomorrow and have been looking forward to Sew Seasonal!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt and the quilting! Thank you for the link to the quilting designs. I'm just starting out in my quilting business and sometimes get idea blocks. That is an amazing site. You have the greatest ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow I love the colors on this, just lovely! I am stopping by from the WIP hop :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2012/10/wednesday-wips.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to try out new quilting styles! The backing looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job with your free stitching! I had the same problem with the last quilt I quilted but just finally did it! With happy results. I was taught that before free motion stitching...it's a good idea to practice with pencil and paper. It really helps to get into the rhythm...so you done good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristy - I love that your jumping off a ledge on a quilt top you love so much! You're gonna be total quilting inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!